Glamour posted an article titles “36 Things Every Single Girl Must Do Before She Settles Down.” It’s kinda like a Single Woman’s Bucket List. Now that I am single again, “let me ‘up’ my resale value.” I changed up the list to fit me and my lifestyle. So here it goes:
To Build Your Confidence…
1. Go to a movie alone.
2. Lift weights. When I bench-press 45 lbs., I feel like the bomb.
3. Try surfing, water-skiing, or some activity you don’t already know how to do. Could be riding a bicycle.
4. Take out the trash, set a mousetrap, do your taxes, build a bookcase.
5. Live alone.
6. Train for (and finish) a huge physical test like a half-marathon.
7. Go to a scary doctor’s appointment by yourself.
8. Quit your job. It feels so good to take a job and shove it (and not be affecting anyone else’s livelihood).
9. Fly to a foreign country by yourself. I was nervous on my first solo trip to Europe, even though I almost always have to travel alone.
10. Learn to stand up for yourself.
To Be Able to Look Back and Say “I Had Fun”…
11. Witness something once-in-a-lifetime, like Jokulsarlon, a lake next to a melting glacier in Iceland.
12. Revel in being able to watch all the reality TV you want.
13. Get drunk during the day, just because you can. Attend Santacon, the convention for santas, or similar.
14. Go on a date with someone who actually makes you nervous.
15. Go out with an older man who takes you somewhere nice and makes you feel like a million bucks.
16. Go out with a guy who makes you laugh ‘til it hurts.
To Get Perspective…
17. Be a good wingwoman. It’s not always about you.
18. Chill with a widowed elderly person. She knows “alone”!
To Make You Appreciate the Next Guy…
20. Do at least one Valentine’s Day alone.
21. Attend a wedding (or 15) alone.
22. Date the creeps. You’ll really value the nice guys afterward.
To Make You Feel Sexy and Attractive…
23. Buy yourself some flowers.
24. Invest in a LBD (little black dress) and some sexy stilettos.
25. Sit at a bar by yourself and drink a martini. Cool.
26. Buy something frivolous and expensive that you LOVE wearing.
To Make the Most of Your Free Time…
27. Finish all your schooling if you can. Not that it was ever my goal to go to grad school, but I did. But I will never stop learning.
28. Throw yourself into something time-consuming, like learning a foreign language. You may not have time to do this again until you retire and the kids are off to college.
To Make Yourself a Better Partner in the Future…
29. Make a list of all your faults.
30. Learn to cook well.
31. Get some hobbies. Something’s gotta keep you occupied—plus it’ll make you seem interesting.
32. Let your married friends edit your online dating profile.
33. Get your finances in order.
To Appreciate Being Single…
34. Babysit someone’s baby for an hour.
35. Help a friend through her divorce or a bad break-up.
36. Host a girls-only night. I think some coupled-up women forget how much we need each other.
What have I forgotten? What do you make sure to do while you’re still single?