I was thinking about this past week and analyzing it. Of course…that is what women do…analyze everything. I realized this holiday season, there were a lot of "first time"…..
1. It was the first time in years my family came to San Francisco for the holidays.
2. It was the first time in a long time I can remember being surrounded by them and feeling utter joy and happiness despite the chaos in my personal life. Maybe it’s because everyone is happy and joyful with their own lives.
3. It was the first time we hung stockings from a brick fireplace without a mantle. It was a pain to remove those hooks by the way. Those 3M sticky hooks REALLY stick.
4. It was the first time we hung a wreath above the fireplace.
5. It was the first time the tree was in a different place.
6. It was the first time in a long time I saw my sister and her husband look at each other with love in their eyes. It was a precious sight and made me smile.
7. It was the first time the twins will remember having Christmas in San Francisco.
8. It was the first time I hosted a real holiday party and dinner…with a tablescape, place settings and centerpieces.
9. It was the first time we all sat as a family in this dining room…squished but all happy and merry.
10. It was the first time I was jealous of my sister. For finding her soulmate. For being blissful. Although I am envious, I am elated she found her prince charming. My speech at her wedding said it all.
11. It was the first time I spent I whole day baking and I enjoyed every minute of it.
12. It was the first time a relationship has ended on Christmas.
It’s kind of like the 12 days of Christmas.