I usually bake pumpkin rolls around the holidays and give them as presents. It has become such a tradition, people start asking me for theirs at the end of October. Yes! They are that good! I inherited this recipe from my sister. However, she does not use spices and I added pumpkin spice to mine.
INGREDIENTS for the cake part:
⅔ cup canned pumpkin filling, NOT pumpkin pie filling
1 cup sugar
¾ cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1.5 tsp pumpkin spice seasoning
½ tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a stand mixer, beat eggs, pumpkin and sugar for 5 mins. Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix for an additional 2 mins.
3. In the meantime, line a medium-sized cookie sheet (I use a 10×15) with parchment/wax paper. Pour batter onto cookie sheet and spread evenly (an off set spatula/spreader works well for this).
4. Bake 20 mins. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 mins.
5. Lift wax paper and cake onto a tea towel (any other towel will not work) and roll up (it should take 3 turns). Roll the cake and the tea towel together.
6. Cool completely.
INGREDIENTS for ICING
1 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. butter, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
7. Make icing by mixing all the ingredients together until smooth.
8. Once the cake has cooled completely, unroll, spread icing evenly. I tend to leave a little room around the edges because some of the filling will ooze out.
9. Roll the cake back up without the wax paper and tea towel and enjoy!